The MIT Corporation Office offers to reimburse Corporation and Visiting Committee members for expenses incurred during travel to and from the Institute for Corporation and Visiting Committee meetings. All reimbursements are based on receipts and are made at the discretion of the Corporation Office, in accordance with MIT Travel Office policies.
- Non-refundable economy air or rail fares (if you are traveling internationally, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Travel reservation fees
- Checked baggage fees (first checked bag only)
- Hotel room charges (up to 2 nights for domestic travel and up to 3 nights for international travel, in room blocks at negotiated/MIT rate)
- Hotel internet connections
- Mileage for private automobiles (at prevailing IRS rate) and parking fees
- Taxi (also including Uber and Lyft) and public transportation fares
- Meals during travel to and from MIT (itemized receipts only, including for expenses billed to hotel rooms; per diem expenses do not apply)
- Refundable economy class airfare
- First class and business class airfare
- Private aircraft
- Travel change/upgrades fees
- Hotel in-room minibar charges; premium channel charges
- Limousine and premium car service charges
- Rental cars
- Telephone calls
- Alcoholic beverages
- Other personal expenses
We ask members to contact the Corporation Office — prior to making travel plans — with any questions about this policy or with any exceptional requests. Members who elect to travel in a class other than economy or who travel on multi-leg trips should obtain a printed price quote for a non-refundable economy fare for a round trip fare to Boston from their starting location. This documentation should be included with the request.
We urge all members to make transportation arrangements as early as possible to obtain reasonable rates for air travel. Committee members may take advantage of special MIT travel rates through Leeanne Locke (617-497-8138) at The Travel Collaborative.
When submitting your travel reimbursement, please include a completed Travel Expense Voucher along with original copies of your receipts. If you choose to submit your reimbursement electronically (via email), it is required by MIT that you save your original receipts for up to one year after you receive your reimbursement payment. Your travel reimbursement should be submitted within six weeks following the meeting to:
The Office of the Corporation
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
77 Massachusetts Avenue, Room 7-203
Cambridge, MA 02139-4307
Submitting organized receipts with an expense voucher will expedite submission to the MIT Travel Office. Expenses submitted after the six week deadline will not be processed. Please note that reimbursements will be processed in 4 weeks.
Updated April 10, 2017